Reports to Head Custodian
Scope of Position/Summary of Duties
To perform cleaning, maintenance and operational tasks in the Community Centre, Centennial Building (less Fire Hall) and Office/Library as outlined in the list of duties prepared by the Township Council.
- General housekeeping in all areas including dusting, vacuuming, floor washing, waxing and polishing and window cleaning on an “as required” basis or as set out by directive.
- Cleaning of washrooms, washroom fixtures and cells.
- Steam-cleaning of rugs annually.
- Disposing of garbage.
- Replacing burnt-out light bulbs.
- Refilling paper towel and toilet paper dispensers.
- Minor repairs including removal of loose floor tiles, re-setting screws on chairs and tables, etc.
Responsible for: (During Head Custodian’s prolonged absence)
- Accepting and recording hall bookings.
- Contacting Clerk-Treasurer when repairs are required.
- Ensuring hall is opened and closed according to activity schedule.
- Ensuring that the bar is operated in compliance with Provincial regulations.
- No scheduled hours, as required to substitute for the regular custodian.
- Exposure to physical hazards resulting from use of cleaning materials and movement of heavy equipment up and down stairs; working on ladders and scaffolding to clean and change light bulbs.
- Works alone.
- Receives direction, guidance and supervision.
With Other Township Staff
- Receives assistance.
- Usual courtesy and co-operation.
With The Public
- Courtesy and co-operation.
- Provides assistance and information.
Knowledge and Skill
- Good knowledge and experience in cleaning and general maintenance practices and the proper use of cleaning supplies and equipment.
- Good physical condition.
- Good record-keeping skills.
- Good public relations skills when dealing with hall users.
Impact of Error
- Failure to perform satisfactorily would result in untidy conditions and poor public image.
- General direction from the Township Maintenance and Development Committee.
- Approved list of duties.
- Accepted custodial practices and procedures.
Applications for Employment can be found here.
Job Descriptions will also be available at the Dorion Public Library – 170 Dorion Loop Road – 807-857-2289
Cover Letters and Resumes can also be dropped off, in a sealed envelope, at the Dorion Public Library.